“Love is overrated; Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate.“
John Milton – The Devil’s Advocate
It’s been said that if you want to get a woman in the mood fast, the quickest ways are wine, chocolate, and, occasionally, diamonds. Women, and men alike, are pursuers of pleasure and well-being. As humans, if something makes us truly happy, it may also act as an aphrodisiac.
From popular knowledge and studies, it is understood that aphrodisiacs mainly work two ways:
1. Aphrodisiacs increase and improve blood flow. This means that pretty much any food or medicine that increases blood flow and improves circulation, are good for sexual arousal.
2. They also increase the releasing of dopamine and endorphins, which leads to more sex, higher libido and an overall sense of well-being.
Let’s Take a Look At Some Popular Aphrodisiacs
For both men and women, a couple of drinks will surely loosen things up. It will also send more blood flow to your intimate areas. Red wine also seems to increase levels of testosterone in the blood, a necessary hormone when it comes to male and female sexual arousal and desire.
However, it is worth mentioning that after more than a drink or two, the other effects of alcohol begin to take over, and can lead to a less than optimal sexual experience.Buy on Amazon
- Pros: Red wine is good for you, if you practice moderate consumption. Red wine is excellent for preventing heart disease and strokes.
- Cons: One of the well known consequences of drinking too much alcohol is liver disease.
I don’t really know anyone that does not like chocolate! Chocolate’s Aphrodisiac qualities have been known to man for centuries. Here’s how it works. First, tryptophan, is transformed into serotonin in the body, which is a brain chemical involved in sexual arousal and general well-being.
Next, phenylethylamine, which is related to amphetamine, is released in the brain when you fall in love. Chocolate is one of the foods that have the highest levels of phenylethylamine, and may be one of the reasons why it’s so popular on Valentine’s Day 😉
Many love the dark treasure, and it is certain to psychologically arouse your senses, and set the stage for a well-developed libido.Buy on Amazon
- Pros: Chocolate tastes fantastic, and has proven health advantages if it’s dark and very low in sugar.
- Cons: Eating too much chocolate can lead to obesity, diabetes, heart disease or even acid reflux.
Muira Puama has been used for a long time by Brazilian tribes for sexual issues, but also for rheumatism, neuromuscular problems and gastrointestinal upset. Other names for this herb are “potency wood” and “erection root”. These names and its qualities have resulted in Muira Puama having a great reputation as a male sexual enhancer.
A study on rabbits showed that this herb supports the penis in becoming engorged with more blood than usual, by relaxing its corpus cavernosa.
Another study showed that the plant may block an enzyme known as acetylcholinesterase. Acetylcholine helps with the dilation of blood vessels, including those to the genitals, therefore supports an increased libido. This allows more blood flow downstairs, which will most likely help you get a harder boner quicker!Buy on Amazon
- Pros: When taken in proper doses, Muira Puama has a stimulant effect that leaves the user with a general feeling of well-being.
- Cons: Large doses may cause overstimulation and insomnia, leaving you feeling restless and tired.
Tribulus is often used in combination with the above Muira Puama. Exactly how it works is a bit of mystery, but studies have shown that it develops libido in men and in women.
Tribulus has also been used by bodybuilders for many years for its testosterone boosting properties. It is a great alternative to artificial drugs like steroids and growth hormones that can really do long term damage to the human body.
However, if it is good enough for a bodybuilder, you know it is definitely good enough for the average guy looking to get a little bit of an edge in the bedroom!Buy on Amazon
- Pros: Tribulus terrestris boosts testosterone, it increases erection and sperm quality, and it also boosts desire.
- Cons: Side effects are uncommon, but be sure to check the bottle for any possible negative effects. The higher quality the product, the lesser chance of any negative effects.
Chili is probably one of the less obvious ones on this list, but the capsaicin in chili mimics the way the libido is pumped up in both men and women. It simultaneously stimulates your cardiovascular system and releases endorphins. This means that chili will heat up your mouth and your arousal.
Studies have also pointed out that men have a particularly strong response to eating spicy food. The best part about this one, is it can be added to almost any dish you are cooking and is not too spicy.Buy on Amazon
- Pros: If taken properly, chili can have many benefits, from arousal and a sense of warmth, to helping with food digestion. Chili reduces inflammation in the body, soothes joint pain, and can help prevent arthritis.
- Cons: The side effects may include abdominal pain, cramps, painful diarrhea and burning sensation in the gut. You must also make sure you’re not allergic to it. Like everything else here, its best to use in moderation.
Horny Goat Weed
Traditionally used in Chinese Medicine, the old tale goes like this…When a Chinese goat hearder noticed his flock eating this herb, they engaged in increased sexual activity.
A 2008 lab study found that a compound in the herb blocks the effects of an enzyme that restricts blood flow to the penis. Basically, it works a lot like Viagra but a with a more natural approach and possibly fewer side effects.
Horny goat weed also contains phytoestrogens, chemicals that act somewhat like the female hormone estrogen, therefore it also stimulates female libido to some extent.Buy on Amazon
- Pros: Increases testosterone production. Increases estrogen levels (especially in post-menopausal women). Improves blood circulation, boosts libido and helps treat impotence and vaginal dryness.
- Cons: Horny goat weed can be unsafe when used in high doses. Make sure to follow the dose instructions on the bottle!
Make sure not to take any of this advice as medical advice. It is NOT. However, these are great places to start if you are looking for a little extra boost in bedroom. All of these foods and supplements are very affordable and can easily put you or your partners sex drive into high gear! Also, if you try all of these and none of them seem to work, consider the possibility that she is just not into you!
If you have experience with other fast acting aphrodisiacs not mentioned here, be sure to leave us a comment below. We want to hear from you!